Monday, November 9, 2015

Why Fashion Design Business Is Really Hot Right Now!

Animasaun Aderayo,creative director @ De'rayo
The fashion business never runs out of existing, and that is because human beings basically love fashionable items and will continue to buy them.

As long as one can be creative, they can continue to churn out different products and keep their customers for life.

To give an insight into this huge and highly lucrative industry, SuccessDigest met with two successful fashion designers recently and they didn’t hold anything back on how the business works, and how to exploit the unlimited opportunities available.

They are:
Mrs. Modupe Agboola, Owner of Emanuelher styles. She has been in the fashion business for about 5 years now, and says that being a fashion designer is the best thing that has ever happened to her.

And Animashaun Aderayo, a Creative Director at De’rayo. She studied entrepreneurial and business management at the Nigeria National Open University. She has a passion for African prints and is fully into the production of sweet fashion and leather works combined with Ankara to make shoes, bags and accessories.
Enjoy our discussion with them:

What led you into fashion business?
Modupe says, “I will say it’s my passion for the art, because before now I was into business of buying and selling, that I was doing very well, and at times I will just feel this sense of unfulfillment  and it wasn’t making me look at myself despite the money I was making in the business, to have achieved anything. I was always thinking that I could do more even with my passion for creative things.

“Fashion has always been on my mind, when I newly completed my senior secondary school certificate exams, I told my mom that I wanted to learn about fashion design, that I was not really interested in going into the higher institution of learning, that I was ok with my SSCE, that I was just going to learn the fashion thing for the mean time but she insisted that I have to further my education, that if I start now I will not want to go back to continuing my higher learning.

“So I heeded to her wish and I went to further my schooling, and after school I got married and somehow I started business. After I had my last child, I had to go and enroll for training in a fashion school because it was just too obvious that I can do more than the trading business I was already doing successfully. And fashion has to do with art, if you are a lover of art, until you express yourself that push to it will always be there.

“Even though at school I studied marketing, but art and fashion were just a gift and passion that I have and I wanted to express it, so after the training I went ahead to start. And as I progressed in the art of fashion, I kept imagining how I could always do things differently, how to improve what has been done. Most times, my imagination may look impossible, more often than not, I have always achieved my imaginations because in fashion anything is possible.”

Animashaun says, “It is all about what your heart goes for, I have always loved fashion and all that goes with it, so after my studies I did a few of product marketing but at some point I decided to follow my passion instead of going about marketing other people’s products, I said let me employ myself. That was how I started, I took interest in the fashion world, how I can contribute to that industry, and my passion for it, to see that my works is loved and accepted by all and the determination to keep that dream alive.

“I can say that some of the things I learnt in school have also helped in managing the business till date. I started with 10,000 Naira. If you have the capital fine, but if not start with little that you have, the business will keep growing once you cultivate the habit of putting the profit back into the business.

“Why most business don’t grow after starting small is that they fail to reinvest the profit back into the business, they don’t want to delay gratitude, you must delay gratitude if you must grow your business, don’t eat your profit just like that.”

What do I need to start or go into the business of fashion, making stuff with Ankara or other fabrics?
Modupe says, “The very first thing you need to have is the passion for the trade or business, passion is so important that if you are not passionate about this business, you will soon be frustrated by your very customers, when issues come and it will definitely come, because it is not easy meeting the needs of man, it is that passion that will keep you going.

“Then you need to be trained, you need to be taught, you need the knowledge, and you need the knowhow. Training can help you really discover your passion, help you develop stamina for the business. Then after training, you need to start work, you need to begin practice in real-time the things you have been taught, to begin to do it the way you were taught and redo it another way, and another way.

“Your creative mind has to be seen in all your works, don’t just do it the same old way, do something different, and a little different. While you are training, you will only get a little, don’t expect to know all through that period of training, the real training starts when you have stared out on your own because it is while you have started that you can really tell that you are creative and that you can do it, when you are alone, when nobody is watching you, when nobody is giving you ideas. And in fashion, we keep learning every day, so to think that you have arrived after your few months of training will lead to your failure in the business.

“Find a place to start, I did start from our home because I was already in business making money, it wasn’t difficult for me to buy one sewing machine which I started with, if you are wise and smart you could raise the money to start on your own while you are still training just in case it will be difficult or you will not find the money to get at least a sewing machine when you are ready to start.

“It is not compulsory that you must rent a very big shop or even a small one, as far as I am concerned, a sewing machine, a pair of scissors and a measuring tape, and you are good to start. And with N15, 000 you can get these three items and start work and as you grow you are enlarging, it is a gradual process, fashion business is not something that needs so much capital to start, that is if you don’t have it, but the truth is, it is good to start small, so that the mistakes you will make at the beginning will be small too.

“Another thing that is very crucial is your mind; you have to deal with your mindset to know that you are sure of what you are doing and have this mentality of I can do it, because what kills most businesses is the negative mindset owners have towards their business.

“Still talking about the training, it is based on what the individual wants, like when I got my own training it was all about fashion. I was trained for about six months, but you may want to extend or reduce the training period. It also depends on how smart you are able to grab the things you are taught, I am very sure no master or trainer will want to send out a half baked student, it will definitely speak some days.

“You may just say I want to learn only the accessory aspect of fashion or everything, but some trainers may not be able to give you everything as in both the Ankara and other fabric accessories in addition to the main fashion design, so you may have to learn them at separate places.”

Animashaun says, “The very first step is to have interest in designing and it will raise lots of questions such as, “How do I go about making designing? “You have to get trained, the N10, 000 I had was used to acquire the knowledge. You can enroll into a fashion school or learn from a shoe and bag designer that is very creative.

“The basic thing you need is a sewing machine because the training process takes you through how to make flat shoes, slippers and sandals, all kinds of bags and different accessories, how to cut and sew, how to combine colours and how to know best and quality fabrics, etc.
 
“Then after the training you move to what do I need regarding the materials and equipments? Now, if you don’t still have the money to buy all these things, you can start with other people’s money, how? Advertise yourself as a fashion designer and with special treats in finishing your accessories with Ankara to friends and before you know it someone will give you money to make one. Don’t wait until you have all the millions of naira before you start.

“At the place of your training you would have had an idea of what to charge and where to get the materials needed cheaply, so, you get to work, once that first job is delivered neatly, and the customer is satisfied, you have just gotten a business. And from that profit, you could make another one you want to market to another person or someone is already interested and made a deposit, and you completed the job from that profit, you get you full money after job was delivered.

“From there you start to build the business, I can assure you if you are determined to own a business and you keep putting back, if not all but a larger percentage of your income into that business, before you know what is happening that dream to own a business will just come to pass.

“And because you are also passionate about the business this will help you through tough times because all occupations have their hazards, but determination keeps you moving till you are successful.”

What are the things you can do with Ankara or any other fabrics?
Modupe says, “You can do a lot with fabrics generally; the Nigerian fashion industry has really promoted the use of Ankara fabrics even in the international market. We can make Ankara bangles, Ankara journals, Ankara ipad case, Ankara necklace; Ankara earrings, Ankara bible cover, Ankara shoes, Ankara bags and purse, Ankara wrist watch, Ankara paintings curtains and window blinds, etc and these are hot selling items in the market place.

“Ankara painting is very unique and trendy now, what we used to do before is to embellish the fabrics with beads, stones and what we call embroidery, but now fashion has gone one step further than those stuffs, there are fabric paints that are designed for painting on fabric to create designs not just on Ankara but also on lace, denim, and Jeans materials that will change the look of that fabric.
“At this point, the art sense in you will have to come to play, but you have to learn it and be creative with the way you go about the paintings. When I first came in contact with someone painting fabric, I was like is this real? So I branched in to make enquiries and eventually I went to get that knowledge from her, it cost me N80, 000 for 3months training.

“The beauty about this fabric painting is that you don’t even have to know how to sew, just get a tailor to sew the dress for you, all you need is the knowledge of the painting, and be creative in your designs and package your stuff to sell. In fact, that is what the woman that trained me does. You will not find one sewing machine in her shop, but you will always meet her painting with enough jobs to do.

“The painting is for both male and female dresses, in fact, there is this woman I know that paints only for children, and with hand wash you can manage these fabrics such that they cannot spill or wash away in colour. The colours are high quality fabric paint that will last as long as the fabric last. And you can charge even more because it is unique and if your design blows their mind, your bank account will be rising as well.

What will you consider as challenges in this business and how have you been able to overcome them?
Modupe says, “The very first challenge I had was the lack of electricity, because almost every bit of fashion needs electricity, lack of electricity was a major challenge I had then but, thank God that has become a thing of the past now, because the power supply has improved.

“Another challenge is yourself, your mind, you must be able to determine within you that you can do it, you must be positive about what you want to do.

“Been able to manage your time is also an issue, if you can’t really put time to the things you want to do per day, you won’t get anything done. And you need time to keep practicing every day. In fact one day my husband complained that he regretted that I went to learn fashion and I asked why? He said because he does not have my attention again, then I said I’m sorry, but I have learnt the trade already it cannot be taken away now, that I will adjust. It was going to be a very serious issue, but thank God we have crossed that level.

“Another very serious challenge are your customers, you must know how to manage your customers because they are in different level of understanding, and different character. There are some customers that will ask for something very simple and they are ready to pay you anything for if. And there are also some that will come and describe heaven on earth kind of style, but to pay the money will become an issue.

“So you must understand the different kind of customers you have and be able to manage them, they are the reason why you are in business, understand their temperament and be able to satisfy them accordingly. This is why your passion for the business is very crucial because when some unhappy customers get to you, insult you or even cheat you, you may feel like quitting but if the passion is there, you will remain focus and understand that this one will soon come and go.

“I have heard from some of my colleagues who have parked out because they couldn’t cope with the pressure and heat from their customer and because the market is very competitive, it is very easy for you to lose all you customers over one unhappy customer, so we must mind our customers.”

Animashaun says, “Financial constraints and lack of manpower, the needed funds in starting and running the business are challenges, but if you are so determined and you follow the things I shared earlier you will be able to overcome the financial challenge because you need cash to always get materials from the market. I was able to overcome that by being a shrewd business woman, the profits I was making was put back into the business.

“Most Nigerians are money oriented, they are not driven by passion so they are not experts at what they do, so it becomes usually difficult to employ artisans in Nigeria, but over time I have been able to get a few guys that are ready to do what you ask them to do after series of training them to know what you want from them, and some after they have learnt they feel they can be their own boss too, they just leave, what do you do? You try to get someone else to do the job.”

Will you say that fashion business is lucrative?
Modupe says, “Of course yes, and in all ways because while I was still in the business of buying and selling I was really making money, I was selling condiments, pure water, frozen foods, and kerosene in retails. I had a very big tank then, and because of my location in the heart of Agege market in Lagos, that business was really booming, I have different big shops for each of them.

“Like I said, I was prospering and the business was flourishing, I just knew that I was not fulfilled within, the cash flow was great, but you cannot touch your capital, but the cash flow in the fashion business was not as fantastic as the other business. But I can get a customer to pay let’s say N8, 000 for skirt and blouse and I will spent less than 30% of that money to complete the job, the 70% is up to me to spend, another customer will come again, the knowledge is in my head. I can’t spend it but in the other business it is not so, you have boundaries if you must continue in that business.

“A business that you make between 70 and 80% profit is very lucrative, and a business that you determine how much you make and spend without boundaries, I love this business. “

Animashaun says, “What you charge can vary from one location to the other because if you decide that you want to target the international market, what is charged locally may not work for you, so you charge based on one, your target market’s buying power, quantity, and design.

“We sell a purse for N2, 000 and it will cost about N900 to produce that purse, so you have a profit of N1, 100, for male shoes, we sell N6, 000 and it cost about N3, 500 to produce, you have a profit of N2, 500; we sell earrings, bangos and bracelets for N500 each, which cost N250 to produce. That is, you are making minimum of 80% returns for each product that is produced.”

How do you get customers?
Modupe says, “My customers are my friends, I am a very social person and because I was in business before, I have made most of my customers my friends and they love my work, and because I try to be creative in my work, I cannot sew 10 dresses for you and you will find similarity, all my dresses are unique unless you specifically ask for same pattern and design.

“If you treat them well they will not only come back, they will come back with others, that is what I do, you can never come to me and leave angrily, whatever the issue is we must settle it, because we must have some misunderstanding, but they must be resolved.

“It is also the passion that I have for the business that have kept me doing things that whao my customers for these past 5years.”

Animashaun says, “We get customers through referrals from satisfied customers, and because we have a factory that does mass production for other designers we are constantly busy, we don’t only service individuals we also service other designers and marketers that resell our products.

“We produce for designers, our major target markets are people between the ages of 16 and 65 and we reach them through social media, including Facebook, Instagram, market hubs, dealdey and konga. Our customers are everyone who wears shoes, and uses bags and accessories. Our primary target is Nigeria, Africa, and eventually the whole world.”

Final word to would be fashion designers
Modupe says, “You cannot just wake up one morning and decide that you want to go into fashion business, you must have passion for it, because if you don’t you might still be in the business but you can be sure you are not where you should be. You might be stagnated and limited, it is the passion that will keep driving you.

“You must keep learning everyday because the industry is still growing in Nigeria, so there is need to be innovative and creative, research and discover better and unique ways of satisfying your customers on a regular basis, give yourself targets and endeavor to meet these targets.”

Animashaun says, “Fashion industry in Nigeria is still evolving and has come a long way, there are more areas to explore and leverage on that have not received enough attention. The future is very bright for anyone interested to come into the industry now. 5years from now I see our stores opening nationwide.”

Culled From SuccessDigest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and share this post,you never can tell those that need it...Peace @ Lazarus Uwakwe